Thursday, March 4, 2010

Microwaved Bread

I have to give Michael Voltaggio (Top Chef winner of Season 6) credit for being a great chef with a crazy amount of imagination to come up with such things as microwaved brioche, but really? Microwaved bread? When I started my eight week bread class, I knew bread baking was a dying art, but will the microwave kill artisanal bread?



This topic has been brought up in the Bread Bakers Guild of America's forum and the conversation that has started about this subject is interesting. Most members seem a bit appalled by the thought of making bread in the microwave. I'd have to agree. Plus, where is the yeast? I suppose the nitrous along with the steaming affect of the microwave makes the yeast unnecessary, but I always equate bread with yeast (whether it be commercial or wild).

No comments:

Post a Comment